Summers, McNea & Company, PC


80 25th Street West, Billings, MT 59102


Phone: 406-652-2320

Fax:     406-652-2043

October 2018

October 2018 Q & A

Article Image

Can I get a tax deduction for making my manufacturing plant accessible to our disabled employees?

Better yet, your business may get a tax credit and possibly a deduction for the cost of certain expenses you incur accommodating disabled persons. If your business had under $1 million in gross receipts in 2017, the Architectural Barrier Removal tax deduction lets you deduct up to $15,000 a year and the Disabled Access Credit gives you a tax credit of up to $5,000, with the credit reducing the deduction in the same year. Talk to your accounting professional to learn more.

My daughter is paying private high school tuition for my two grandchildren. Is it true that I can take tax-free distributions from a 529 plan to help pay these costs?

New federal tax laws allow tax-free distributions of up to $10,000 per student per year to pay tuition for elementary and secondary private and parochial schools. However, a few states still tax these distributions, and the limit may not even cover half of a high-priced school’s tuition. Take advantage of the new tax law, but also look into giving up to $15,000 annually tax-free to each grandchild (or $30,000 a year if you and your spouse make gifts).


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.