Summers, McNea & Company, PC


80 25th Street West, Billings, MT 59102


Phone: 406-652-2320

Fax:     406-652-2043

October 2018

Special Needs, Special Savings

Article Image

While parents have a variety of tax-advantaged ways to save for their children’s educational needs, they haven’t always enjoyed the same tax benefits when saving for the future of their special-needs children. The Achieving a Better Life Experience Act (ABLE) of 2014 provides such an opportunity.

States may offer ABLE accounts, designed to pay for disability-related expenses, to people who become disabled before age 26. Account earnings are tax-deferred, but you make contributions to an ABLE account after tax. Qualified withdrawals — including support services, assistive technology, employment training, transportation, education and housing — are tax-free.

You and other loved ones can each contribute up to $15,000 gift-tax-free, and the recent tax law changes now allow disabled persons to also contribute to their ABLE accounts subject to certain limits. The first $100,000 of ABLE account assets are not considered part of the account beneficiary’s assets, a positive feature for those depending on Medicaid eligibility.

A provision allowing ABLE account beneficiaries to qualify for the Saver’s Credit based on account contributions of up to $2,000 is new in 2018. Also new are limited rollovers to an ABLE account from 529 plans of the disabled beneficiary and loved ones.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.