Greenberg & Company, LLC, CPAs


500 Morris Avenue, Springfield, NJ 07081-1224

Phone: 973-467-3838

Fax:     973-467-3184

November 2018

November 2018 Q & A

Article Image

The IRS informed me it’s auditing my company. What should I do?

Your first step should involve talking to your accounting professional, who can offer advice that fits your situation. If you keep good records and receipts of expenses and income, the audit should go smoothly. It may involve nothing more than receiving a notice by mail and answering concerns by mail within 30 days. Be aware that the first notice of an audit happens only by mail, not by phone. In-person meetings, if required, may be held in your business, an IRS office or your accountant’s office.

Do the new tax laws give me more time to repay my 401(k) plan loan?

Yes, they do. A new provision that flew under the radar during the recent federal tax overhaul is one that changes the deadline for repaying a 401(k) loan. When a 401(k) loan term expires, often after five years, the IRS typically treats the unpaid loan amount as a distribution for tax purposes. Additionally, the deadline for paying these loans in full is only 60 days if you left the company. But for loans treated as distributions due to employment termination in 2018 and later, the repayment period is now the due date of your federal income tax return, including any extensions.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.