Homes Lowry Horn and Johnson Ltd logo

A Professional Corporation

Certified Public Accountant


3998 Fair Ridge Drive Suite #360, Fairfax, VA 22033-2907


Phone: 703-281-4880

Fax:     703-281-4522



November 2019

How to Take Tax-Friendly RMDs

How to Take Tax-Friendly RMDs

Before you retire, consider planning for your required minimum distributions (RMDs). This can be more complicated than you imagine if you have signicant retirement assets in qualified plans, such as 401(k) accounts and IRAs, but you can achieve a tax-friendly result with a little planning.


Generally, you must begin taking RMDs by April 1 of the year after you reach age 70 1/2 and by December 31 of each subsequent year. Your tax professional can help you determine your RMDs, which typically are calculated by dividing the balance subject to RMDs by your life expectancy.

Different rules apply if your spouse is the sole beneficiary and at least 10 years younger than you. Stiff tax penalties apply on RMD amounts not taken.


Use the years before age 70 1/2 to help ease the potential size and subsequent tax bite on eventual RMDs. For example, consider converting some traditional IRA assets to a tax-free Roth IRA during lower-income years, to limit the future income tax bite (you’ll pay ordinary income tax upon conversion).

Or invest some IRA money in a Qualified Longevity Annuity Contract (QLAC), which can delay required payments for several more years. Deducting up to 60% of your adjusted gross income annually for charitable contributions can also help reduce the tax bite.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.