Manzi, Pino & Company, P.C.

 1895 Walt Whitman Road #5, Melville, NY 11747

Phone: 631-420-5620

December 2020

Unemployment, Side Gigs, and Tax

Insights and Tips

The pandemic has been front and center most of this year and it may have tax implications for you. If you collected unemployment compensation from either your state or the federal government, it is all taxable as ordinary income. You will receive a Form 1099-G by January 31 that shows you how much compensation you received and how much tax was withheld. If you’re still collecting unemployment benefits in 2021, consider increasing your tax withholding with your state unemployment office if you owe taxes for 2020.

And if you picked up a side gig during the pandemic, remember to calculate your business-related expenses. Since you’ll be filing Schedule C to report your self-employment income, you’ll be able to deduct related business expenses. If you shopped and delivered groceries to people’s homes, you could deduct the mileage you drove, any parking fees or tolls incurred during your shopping work and a portion of your cell phone bill.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.