Marc S. Pelletier, P.C., CPA's


666 Main Street, PO Box 326 Southington, CT 06489

Phone: 860-620-5500

August 2018

August 2018 Q and A

Article Image

I am going back to school for an advanced degree. Can I deduct the costs for continuing education?

Unfortunately, the deduction for work-related education was among a series of deductions eliminated after the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 was enacted, so you can no longer deduct the costs of continuing education. To help defray costs, you might look into tax-advantaged savings vehicles like the Coverdell Education Savings Account (income limits apply) or a 529 plan. Also find out if your employer reimburses qualified education expenses. They’re typically tax-deductible to the business, but all or a part may be taxable to the employee receiving them.

I own a restaurant and recently served an unruly customer, who then trashed my food and service on social media. How do I prevent this comment from hurting my restaurant’s reputation?

With online ratings websites and social media ever-present, many retail businesses depend on good reviews to increase sales. Many of these sites allow owners to respond to reviews. The best way to deal with a bad one is head-on. Acknowledge the bad review, apologize if warranted and consider offering a discount for a return visit. But don’t fight fire with fire. Your more satisfied customers and potential new ones will recognize your efforts.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.