Marc S. Pelletier, P.C., CPA's


666 Main Street, PO Box 326 Southington, CT 06489

Phone: 860-620-5500

February 2018

Snowbirds And State Taxes

Article Image

It’s not uncommon for older homeowners in colder climates to also own property in the Sun Belt. Snowbirds, for instance, may own homes in northern and southern states, and may even earn income in both places. Unfortunately, this can complicate their tax picture.

Income Tax

Let’s say you live and work in the North most of the year, but relocate to a warmer climate during the winter and rent out that home the rest of the year. You’ll need to file a resident state tax return in your primary state and a non-resident tax return in the other state. This is generally the drill in any two states where you have income.

Most states have reciprocal tax agreements, so you won’t pay double the taxes. What you pay in the higher-taxed state is generally credited to you in the other state. In your resident state, you’ll need to include all income, wherever it is earned. Generally, your non-resident tax return requires only income earned in that state.

Death Tax

With many states also having estate and inheritance taxes, owning property in two states presents additional challenges. So, talk to professionals who understand the nuances of multi-state estates.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.