Marc S. Pelletier, P.C., CPA's


666 Main Street, PO Box 326, Southington, CT 06489


Phone: 860-620-5500

June 2021

June 2021 Q and A

Q and A

Can I choose my tax filing status?

Generally, your marital status on December 31 determines your filing status for that year. And choosing the proper status affects the amount of tax you’ll owe. When multiple filing statuses apply, select the one that results in the least amount of tax due. If you’re unmarried, you’ll generally file as single unless you have a dependent; then you may be able to file as head of household. And if you become a widow or widower, but don’t remarry and have a dependent, you may claim the Qualified Widow(er) status for the two tax years after your spouse passes, which gives you the same tax perks as married filing jointly. Married taxpayers can file a joint return or file separately. Married filing separately can be used when it results in less tax owed or when one spouse wants to be responsible for their own tax.

I am a sole proprietor but need to hire an employee. Are fringe benefits taxable to my employee?

As a general rule, all fringe benefits are taxable to your employee unless the IRS has expressly excluded them. Common fringe benefits that are tax free include health insurance, life insurance, employee discounts, employer-provided cell phones, certain commuting benefits, and de minimis (minimal) benefits like small non-cash holiday gifts or office-supplied coffee and drinks.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox.

Please include name of person that directed you to my online newsletter so I can thank them personally.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.