Morton S. Winer, CPA


9933 North Lawler Avenue Suite 410, Skokie, IL 60077-3703


Phone: 847-676-8900 



September 2018

September 2018 Client Profile

Article Image

Marie is a fulltime employee for a furniture maker, and she also does freelance design for homes and businesses. Because she owns a home and pays taxes in a high-tax state, she wonders if she is withholding enough money after the new federal tax law put a limit on deductions.

For a definitive answer, Marie should talk to her tax professional, who will not only identify how much Marie will owe in 2018 taxes, but advise her how and when to prepay the correct amount. Possible solutions might include requesting that her employer withhold more from her pay or making larger quarterly tax payments (as a freelance designer).

Another way Marie can pay a little less in taxes is to explore putting more away into tax-advantaged vehicles such as a 401(k) plan or Simplified Employee Pension (SEP-IRA). Both retirement accounts typically offer high annual contribution limits, and balances potentially grow tax-deferred. Beware, though, of some jurisdictions that will accept property tax payment as a tax-deferred charitable contribution. The IRS has not approved this.

Client Profile is based on a hypothetical situation. The solutions discussed here may or may not be appropriate for you.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.