Neil &  Company CPAs, PC

A Professional Corporation

1184 North 15th Street, Bozeman, MT 59715


Phone: 406-587-9239


May 2020

How to Correct Tax Filing Mistakes

How to Correct Tax Filing Mistakes

The last thing most taxpayers want to think about so soon after the tax-filing deadline is filing another tax return. Yet, that’s something you’ll have to do if you made an error and a task you’ll want to perform if you shorted yourself. Here’s what you need to know if you have to file an amended return due to a mistake on your tax return.

What to Do
First, contact your tax preparer if you had that person's help to prepare and file forms. Next, whether the error was in the IRS’s favor or yours, file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return to report the error. Include copies of forms and schedules with the errors or forms that you didn't include with your original return.

Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040-X within three years of the date you filed your original return or two years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Don’t forget to include a check for any amount underpaid, plus potential penalties and interest.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.