Neil &  Company CPAs, PC

A Professional Corporation

1184 North 15th Street, Bozeman, MT 59715


Phone: 406-587-9239


May 2020

May 2020 Question and Answer

Q and A

My company is facing a retirement plan audit. How do I best prepare?

First, understand that besides talking to your tax professional, there are few similarities between an overall company audit (see accompanying article) and a retirement plan audit. You may want to consult a plan consultant to gather necessary documents and begin a series of tests. This includes doing compliance testing to ensure your highly compensated employees don’t contribute more than allowed to your company plan. You’ll also want to check that all eligible employees know they can contribute, you follow IRS and other government rules when offering automatic plan tools, and the plan is fulfilling other fiduciary responsibilities.

I’m a self-employed delivery driver who volunteers to deliver meals to seniors and the disadvantaged. Can I deduct the cost of my time?

No, you can’t deduct your time, but you can deduct your mileage. In 2020, the IRS allows taxpayers to deduct the standard mileage rate of 14 cents per each mile their vehicles were used for eligible charitable work. Incidentally, the business standard mileage rate is 57.5 cents and the mileage rate for driving to and from medical care is 17 cents in 2020. Talk to your tax professional for more information, including whether you’ll need to itemize on your return to get these tax breaks.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.