Neil &  Company CPAs, PC

A Professional Corporation

1184 North 15th Street, Bozeman, MT 59715


Phone: 406-587-9239


May 2022

May 2022 Question and Answer

Q and A

We plan to rent out our primary residence for the summer while we are on vacation. Will we have to pay tax on that rental income?

The general rule is that if you rent your residence for more than 14 days, you'll report the rental income and deduct any related rental expenses on Schedule E. Be sure to allocate the costs between rental and personal use. However, there is an exception, commonly called the Augusta Rule, that applies when you rent your residence for less than 15 days. Then you'll generally not need to report this rental income. Consult your tax advisor.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox.

Please include name of person that directed you to my online newsletter so I can thank them personally.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.