Greg Orcutt


Orcutt & Company, CPA

936 State Route 28, Milford, OH 45150


Phone:  513-576-1989 



February 2019

February 2019 Client Profile

Client Profile

Randall owns an S corporation and learned that he may be eligible to take a pass-through tax deduction, a new tax feature included in the most recent federal tax legislation. What is it and how might it apply to him?

Owners of some pass-through businesses, such as S corporations and sole proprietorships, or of certain real estate investment trusts (REITs) and publicly traded partnerships, may take a deduction equal to 20% of their qualified business income (QBI) in tax year 2018.

The deduction phases out for single tax filers at $157,500 of taxable income and for married taxpayers filing jointly at $315,000. In 2019, the phase-out for single taxpayers and heads of households with taxable income is $160,700, while couples filing jointly see the deduction phase out at $321,400.

Guidance for determining this new tax break continues to evolve a year after its passage, making it important that Randall consult a tax professional. Because the legal structure of any business should involve considerations beyond taxes, he may also want to consult his attorney to review his situation.

Client Profile is based on a hypothetical situation. The solutions discussed here may or may not be appropriate for you.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.