Greg Orcutt


Orcutt & Company, CPA

936 State Route 28, Milford, OH 45150


Phone:  513-576-1989 



February 2020

February 2020 Q and A

Q and A

I made a major calculation error in favor of the IRS on last year’s tax return. Can I file an amended return?

You can file an amended return for individual taxes if you make a mistake in either your favor or the IRS’s up to three years after the filing date (with extensions) for the tax year in question. To get the ball rolling, file a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. State clearly the reason for your amended return. If your mistake was on a business tax return, there are various forms needed to amend tax returns. A tax professional can tell you more.

I’m getting ready to prepare and file my 2019 tax return and heard I could open a traditional IRA this year and deduct contributions from last year’s income on my tax return. Is that true?

Anyone with earned income can open a traditional or Roth IRA before the tax filing deadline and contribute up to $6,000 for 2019 ($7,000 if over age 50), but they must qualify by income to get a tax deduction on a traditional IRA. (You can’t deduct contributions to a Roth.) The deductibility phases out at different income levels depending on your filing status and whether you or your spouse has a qualified retirement plan at work.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.