Greg Orcutt


Orcutt & Company, CPA

936 State Route 28, Milford, OH 45150


Phone:  513-576-1989 



February 2020

Tax Tips For Businesses

Article Image

If you own a sole proprietorship or a company and you file taxes on a calendar basis, you will want to take all of the deductions to which you are legally entitled. Here are a few:

If your business made a qualified large purchase in 2019 and has unpredictable annual income, you may want to consider depreciating the asset 100% during the year of purchase rather than gradually over the asset’s life.

Owners of sole proprietorships, partnerships and S corporations may be eligible for a qualified business income (QBI) deduction when they qualify by income. They may deduct up to 20% of their qualified business income, qualified real estate investment trust (REIT) dividends and qualified publicly traded partnership income.

Whether you run a fulltime business or gig from a home office, you may be able to deduct certain expenses for space and equipment used solely for your business.

If your business grosses less than $25 million annually, changing your accounting method from accrual to cash can offer one-time savings. The accrual method recognizes income when earned while cash accounting recognizes income when received.

With either accounting method, you can accelerate or delay income and expenses depending on your company’s performance with savvy planning. Talk to your tax professional to learn about these and other ways to save on taxes.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.