2150 North Cleveland-Massillon Road, Akron, OH 44333

Phone: 330-659-5985

Fax:     330-659-5986



June 2018

College with Little Savings

Article Image

If you started saving for a child’s college education later than planned, there are still a few things you can do to help lessen the financial load.


Sit down with your future college student and discuss real alternatives. Maybe paying $50,000 a year for school is out, but community college or a moderately priced state college are good alternatives — especially for the core subjects most students must pass to graduate.


Depending on your family income and expected financial contribution (used by most colleges to calculate aid), you could qualify for government or private grants. In most cases, you’ll need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to begin the process.

Every little bit helps, so don’t forget to scour local volunteer organizations like Rotary and Kiwanis clubs for small scholarships. Labor unions and professional associations generally offer scholarships to local students, too. Many employers also have scholarship programs, accounting for 13 percent of grant money in 2016-2017, according to College Board.

Research free money opportunities when considering colleges. Around 47 percent of grants come directly from colleges, according to College Board.


You could also receive income tax credits via the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) and the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC). You can’t claim both credits in the same year, and other rules and qualifications apply.


Some parents consider taking loans from their permanent life insurance policies and 401(k) plans to help fund a child’s college costs. Both come with cautions. Life insurance loans may reduce the policy’s cash value and death benefit, while taking money from your 401(k) could leave you short of your retirement goal.


Even if you don’t have a dime saved as your child begins college, you still have three years to save up for senior year and two years to save for junior year. Consider saving via the Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA), which is income-qualified, and a 529 plan, which allows you to save large amounts to use for qualified education expenses. Talk to a financial advisor to learn more.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.