The CPA Group, P.C.


4267 Canal Avenue SW

Grandville, MI 49418

Phone: 616-538-0460



February 2024

When You Can't or Shouldn't Claim the Standard Deduction

When You Cant or Shouldnt Claim the Standard Deduction

The higher standard deduction has some people thinking they can handle their own personal income-tax preparation. They may want to think again. For instance, you can’t use the standard deduction if you’re:

  • A married individual filing as married filing separately whose spouse itemizes deductions

  • Filing a tax return for less than 12 months because of a change in your annual accounting period

  • A nonresident alien or a dual-status alien during the year—unless you’re married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien at the end of the year and choose to be treated as a U.S. resident for tax purposes

  • Filing as an estate or trust, common trust fund, or partnership

Even with standard deductions of $27,700 for 2023 and $29,200 for 2024, you may want to itemize deductions if you:

  • Had large uninsured medical and dental expenses

  • Paid interest and taxes on your home

  • Had large uninsured casualty or theft losses

  • Made large contributions to qualified charities

Your tax advisor can help you determine what’s best for you.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox.

Please include name of person that directed you to my online newsletter so I can thank them personally.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.